Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Grilled Flatbread Turkey Sandwich

Last night's dinner was created out of a need to use up some deli turkey. My original plan was to have turkey sandwiches. But for some reason, sandwiches just don't feel like dinner to me. Especially when they are of the boring turkey and cheese variety, with maybe a little mayo added for those in the family who are a little more on the extravagant side. So all day I was brainstorming about what I could make using up the rest of the turkey. What I came up with was a Grilled Flatbread Turkey Sandwich. It was delicious! I was happy there was enough left over to have for lunch today!


For the crust, I used this breadstick/pizza dough recipe from ourbestbites. Start the crust first so that it has time to rise. While your crust recipe is rising, you can start prepping your other ingredients. The toppings that I used were, sliced deli turkey, sliced smoked provolone cheese, caramelized onion and garlic, and shredded Colby Jack cheese. 

To caramelize the onions, start by heating 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan. Add your desired amount of sliced onions. I used a half a large onion, next time I will use at least a whole one. Sprinkle in a little bit of salt and add some garlic. I used granulated garlic because that is what I had on hand. I think fresh garlic would add some great flavor! Cook the onion mixture over medium-low heat until soft tender and starting to turn a golden color. Set your onions aside to cool.

If your crust dough is ready, now would be a good time to cook it. I did mine on the grill, but you could also bake it in the oven. Preheat your grill (or your oven). Roll/stretch/shape your dough into a large rectangle. (Actually doing two smaller once would probably be the better/smarter/easier option, but I always like a good challenge!) If you have never cooked pizza dough on a grill before, check out  In a Nutshell. They have a good description along with some pictures to help (and make your mouth water and pizza cravings kick into high gear.) Fully cook the crust. (If you are using the grill method make sure you flip the crust and cook both sides.) This should take about 10 minutes on the grill. 

While your crust is cooking, heat up the pan you used to caramelize your onions. Heat up your sliced turkey. I put about 6 slices in the pan at a time. Let them cook for about a minute and then flip them over and let them cook for a minute more. Repeat until all of the turkey has been warmed up.

Take your cooked pizza crust and evenly top with the caramelized onions. Next add your cheese.(I highly recommend the smoked provolone and would have used only that if I would have had enough on hand.) Lastly add the turkey. Stick it back on the grill for a couple of minutes. Just long enough to melt the cheese. Now enjoy and smile because you served you family something other than sandwiches for supper!

Ingredients
Favorite pizza crust recipe
1 large onion
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Garlic powder
8 oz of your favorite shredded or sliced chees
1/2 pound of Sliced Deli Turkey



No comments:

Post a Comment