Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pannukakku (Finnish Pancakes)

This was a household favorite when I was a kid. I think I could have easily finished off most of the pan of it by myself! But I never had the chance. Turns out the rest of the family like it too and I had to share.

I remember somebody asking me once if I liked pannukakku when it was cold as much as I did when it was fresh out of the oven. As I was debating this question, they went on to say that I that I probably never got a chance to eat it cold. I think they were probably right. It was very rare for there to be any left over by the time we were done with it. However, now when I make it, I make a double patch, and I am happy to report that I do indeed like pannukakku cold almost as much as I like it hot! 

We usually eat our pannukakku plain. However it is delicious topped with syrup (preferably real maple syrup) or fresh fruit! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! 

Pannukakku (Baked Finish Pancake)
(Prep Time: 12-15 minutes   Baking Time:25-30 Minutes
  Serves:4-6)

1/4 Cup Butter
5 Eggs
1/3 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
2 Cups of Milk

Melt butter in 9" x 13" pan in the oven while it is preheating. In a mixer bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, flour, and salt and mix. (At this point the batter will be thick, about the consistency of cake batter.) Now add in the melted butter and mix until it is completely combined. Add 2 cups of milk and mix thoroughly. Make sure you scrape the sides with a rubber spatula. (The mixture will now be fairly thin. About the consistency of melted ice cream.)  Bake in the 9"x13" pan at 425° ≈25 to 30 minutes. When it is done the edges will be brown and puffy. The top of the pannukakku should be solid. If it looks wet let it continue to bake for about 5 more minutes and check it again. When you take it out of the oven, it will be puffy. As it cools, it will sink down. (This is what you want it to do. Don't panic!)

Enjoy! 

My Tips 
  • Watch butter closely so it doesn't burn. I find it takes about 8-10 minutes to melt, but this is starting from a cold oven. 
  • You could melt the butter in the microwave instead. If you do this, make sure you grease the pan!
  • When the Pannukakku is fully cooked it will be browned on the edges and puffy all over (it will shrink back down after it is removed from the oven).



No comments:

Post a Comment